Police hunt for thieves still on

The suspects had escaped a raiding police team in Seremban at 3am yesterday. Police tracked them to Kampung Ayer Salak here. One of the suspects is believed to be hurt.

"No suspects have been caught, but the hunt will continue," said Malacca Tengah police chief ACP Johari Yahya.

Via NST.com.my 

The hunt should definitely continue as police should never be caught resting on their laurels while thieves and other threats to peace and security have not been removed from society. 


Thieves behind blackout in Sabah

Metal thieves blacked out almost the entire state of Sabah on Monday – for a take of merely RM40.

This is hilarious as petty thieves, believe it or not, caused the blackout in Sabah as they removed steel pieces as quoted in my article on TheStar, meaning that the thieves stole the nuts and bolts off a 132kV transmission tower that led to its collapse, triggering a major power blackout lasting nearly six hours from 6.41pm and affecting 300,000 consumers.

Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd managing director Bahrain Din told a press conference yesterday that 20 pieces of steel holding the tower at Suang Parai area here had been removed.

"They could probably get about RM40 in scrap value but they caused huge losses and inconvenience to the people of Sabah," Bahrain said adding that the tower cost RM400,000 to build. Economic losses caused by the six-hour blackout would be even bigger.

Continue reading over at TheStar.com.my 


Dr. M: Asians prefer the security

The world need not feel insecure about Asia because the region's members prefer the security that is guaranteed by economic development, said Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad.

It was not Asian countries that made the West feel insecure, but the West, he said in his address titled Security problems in Asia and their possible impact on world stability at the First International Conference by the Centre for Defence Information Studies in Havana, Cuba, on Monday.

Asians believed that promoting a prosper-thy-neighbor policy would help to reduce problems from coming into their own countries, he said, adding that Asian powers had not indulged in military adventures for a long time.

However, the United States has been telling Asian countries that they have a serious security problem, he added.

Dr. Mahathir said the United States had convinced Japan and Korea that China was a threat to their security.

Continue reading over at TheStar.com.my  


Technician killed in TNB tower collapse

A Tenaga Nasional Berhad technician died and four were seriously injured when an electrical transmission tower they were working on collapsed in Kampung Suang Parai, near here yesterday.

The dead man was identified as Mohd Hairrisham Mohamad, 26. The injured were Vijaya Kumar Velayutham, Hamran Mohamad, Adnan Hassan, and Khairul Azman Che Soh.

One of the four is in critical condition and is being warded at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The others were treated at the Likas Hospital.

"The five technicians were among 34 at the site. They were in the process of rewiring cables when the tower collapsed at 10.20am," said district police chief Assistant Commissioner Ahmad Sofi Zakaria.

The 35-meter aluminum alloy tower borrowed by Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) from parent company TNB was a temporary replacement for one that collapsed after thieves stole pieces of its steel parts.

Continue reading the story and watch TV3's scoop at NST.com.my


Record 13 million television viewers to watch Euro 2008

The country's leading media network, Media Prima Berhad (MPB), is expecting 13 million viewers for Euro 2008 in June." In 2004, we reached approximately 10 million viewers through the TV3 channel, so this year we are targeting more since it's also telecast through NTV7," said MPB International chief executive officer and group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Ahmad Farid Ridzuan.

MPB announced that Celcom (Malaysia) Berhad and TM Group would be the official TV and online sponsorship for the world's most prestigious football event of the year.

The sponsorship agreement was signed at Celcom Tower yesterday. There will be an alive and deferred telecast of the games, which will be held in Austria and Switzerland from June 7 to 29, on MPB TV stations.

Along with the sponsorship, Celcom chief executive officer Datuk Seri Shazalli Ramly said the company would organize various activities and offer Euro 2008 mobile content at the new mobile content channel, Channel X.

"As a brand that is synonymous with football, we are excited to be able to bring the games to die-hard fans here who are looking forward to watching the best players in the world," he said.

On TM's involvement, the company's Integrated Marketing Division vice-president Zainab Hashim said that as the online partner, TM would provide free live streaming of the matches via the online video content portal, pp.tv.

Continued at NST.com.my 


Prostitutes' clients to face charges

Starting today, Dang Wangi police will not only crackdown on vice syndicates but also on clients of prostitutes.

They will be hauled to court and will face the same charges as members of vice syndicates.

Dang Wangi police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Zulkarnain Abdul Rahman said yesterday that those who sought the services of prostitutes would be charged with involvement in vice activities.

Clients and vice syndicate members who are Muslim will also face charges in the Syariah court for having illicit sex.

"They will be handed over to the Federal Territory Religious Department when we have completed our investigations."

Mohd Zulkarnain has pledged zero vice activities in the district following the arrest of 51 foreign women, believed to be prostitutes, yesterday.

Continued at NST.com.my 


Youth find National Service 'cool'

National Service Training Department director-general Datuk Abdul Hadi Awang Kechil said since early this year, around 1,300 teenagers volunteered for the conscription-based National Service and the numbers continue to increase.

"We believe that parents are now more aware of how their children would benefit from the training programs, so they encourage their children to participate."

Abdul Hadi added that in contrast to when the National Service has introduced five years ago, parents and their children were now more accepting of the program.

And one of the main indications of the change in attitude is the rise in the number of parents giving their consent for their children to undergo firearms training.

"In previous years, most camps received about 96 percent consent rate from parents. But this year, the rate has increased to between 98 and 100 percent," said Abdul Hadi, adding that the first camp to receive 100 percent parents' consent was the National Service Camp at Teluk Sari, Endau in Mersing.

Continued at NST.com.my 


Welcome to the All-New MonsterBlog.com.my

Yes, Monsterblog.com.my is finally back, but now with an even bigger mission! But before I go into any details, I need to clarify a number of things:

  1. The all new Monsterblog is not an initiative or affiliated with the previous Monsterbloggers. 
  2. The all new Monsterblog is not affiliated with any local or foreign newspapers.
  3. And nope.. Jaring is not involved in the all new Monsterblog as well.
  4. The all new Monsterblog lost it's Google Pagerank 6. Heheh... Yup, we have to start all over again!

So, if the all-new Monster Blog is not managed and ran by the previous team of Monsterbloggers, who is?

Monsterblog is now delightfully brought to you by Cara com my Media, the same team behind Gokita.com - Asia's Contextual Ad Network.

What does this mean?

This means that now everyone can rejoice as a dedicated team of editors, writers and contributors will publish great interesting stories and articles from local and foreign news sources as well as local and foreign blogs to bring you the latest and freshest content possible each day.

Can I be a Monsterblogger?

Yes of course! The all new Monsterblog now gives every Malaysian the opportunity to take part in building it's content. And no, you don't have to be a blogger in order to submit raw Malaysian content on Monsterblog, but if you have a blog, thats a definite plus!

Besides being able to take part in Monsterblog's constant content building process, every Monsterblogger has the equal opportunity in being throned as the monthly Featured Monsterblogger

Well, that's all for now, stay tuned for more updates... 


Youth Chief, Hisham steps aside

His announcement yesterday paves the way for at least two candidates, Jerlun member of parliament Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir and former Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr. Mohd Khir Toyo, who announced their intentions to contest the post if Hishammuddin did not seek re-election.

"Mukhriz and Dr. Khir have offered themselves as candidates once I had decided on my position in the party.

"After leading the Youth wing for 10 years, it is time to make way for someone else. This December, we will let the process take its course. I will not defend my post," Hishammuddin, who is also the education minister, said at the ministry yesterday.

Via NST.com.my


The US wants more troops in Afghanistan

It is the first time the Bush administration has made such a commitment for 2009.

Gates, speaking to reporters on his way to Muscat, Oman, from a NATO summit in Bucharest, Romania, said President Bush made the pledge at the summit on Thursday.

Bush was not specific about the number of additional troops that would go to Afghanistan in 2009, Gates said. The United States now has about 31,000 troops there - the most since the war began in October 2001 - and has been pressing the allies to contribute more.

Via Guardian.co.uk