Shedding pounds can be challenging, but there’s nothing better than reaching your target weight and discovering a whole new you. Everything seems perfect, and now that you’re where you want to be, you can swap out that carrot and celery diet for something a bit more satisfying. This is where things get tricky. For many of us, it can be just as difficult to keep weight off as it was to lose it in the first place. Here are five tips to help you maintain your new weight and satisfy your inner foodie at the same time:
1. Set a baseline of how many calories you can consume daily without gaining weight. The best time to do this is just after you have reached your target weight. Start adding calories to your diet very slowly, and keep a close watch on what the scale has to say. Although this involves a bit of trial and error initially, you’ll soon discover the daily calorie intake that will keep your weight where you want it.
2. Eat foods that make you feel full. Whole grains such as oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat bread will satisfy your hunger without sabotaging your weight. Soups loaded with veggies are nutritious, delicious and very low in calories. Raw veggies are great for snacking, especially when paired with low-fat cheese, a low-calorie dip or salsa. Some raw veggies will even help you lose weight. One cup of raw broccoli contains only 25 calories, but your body burns up 55 calories to digest it. Lentils, beans, split peas, chickpeas and black-eyed peas are filling and nutritious but low in calories.
3. Keep moving. Experts suggest that an hour of aerobic exercise every day will keep your metabolism going strong and burn off fat before it has a chance to settle in. Walking, running, dancing, bike riding, hiking, swimming and skating are just a few of the fat-burning aerobic activities that will keep you trim while you’re having fun.
4. Stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water will help you feel full, and it flushes toxins from the body as well. If you don’t like plain water, try drinking zero-calorie seltzer or fizzy water instead. Eliminating high calorie beverages like latte and cappuccino can substantially lower your daily calorie intake. Watch out for alcoholic beverages; most are high in calories and low in nutrition.
5. Practice moderation. If you are very disciplined about not exceeding your daily calorie intake, you can eat whatever you want without gaining weight. Not everyone can pull this off, but if you limit yourself to a certain number of calories every day over time, you can eat everything from hot fudge sundaes to fried chicken without gaining a pound.
Maintaining weight loss means changing your lifestyle. You can’t lose 30 pounds and keep it off without also changing your eating and exercise habits. It’s also important to keep your skin hydrated and supple with a body shaping cream. There are a variety of body slimming products in Malaysia that can prevent stretch marks and keep your skin looking healthy and firm.